Monday, September 6, 2010

Being Human

Laura-May, a friend, recommended listening to Dido's No Angel album.  I'm Listening to the song, Honestly OK, and watching the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE1IuPpTn7w

I just want to be happy again
I just want to feel deep in my own world
but I'm so lonely I don't even want to be with myself anymore
On a different day if I was safe in my own skin
then I wouldn't feel so lost and so frightened
But this is today and I'm lost in my own skin
And I'm so lonely I don't even want to be with myself anymore
I just want to feel safe in my own skin

I just want to be happy again



Have you ever felt this way, lost in your own skin?  I have.  It's "honestly okay", because when..
life becomes empty and meaningless, in this emptiness one experiences  fulfillment, in the meaninglessness one experiences wholeness.  My often-empty life rests in the Universe; like the hollowed flute, it yearns for the melody which only the Breath of Energy can give.


This is a simple* exercise to reflect upon:  Can we stand outside ourselves and watch our suffering without comment, remembering we are part of the Universe's Web of Life?  Remembering we have a contribution to make?  My inner conflict is usually resolved by asking  what it wants, as if I'm an outside observer.  
A Zen meditation:  ask your conflict, what do you want from me? what do you need from me?  and  how will you feel when you get it?  *remember, simple does NOT mean easy.


Try to welcome this feeling of despair, asking, how can I help you?  All feelings are valid and should be greeted and welcomed.  Some of my best work comes from my dark side.  Embrace the negative energy to experience the positive energy.
ENERGY
The Guest House
Rumi 
Translated by Coleman Barks

This being human is a guest house.
Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all!
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house
empty of its furniture,
still, treat each guest honorably.
He may be clearing you out
for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.

Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent
as a guide from beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment